Monday, August 1, 2011

Hiding from the sun again

It's another comfortable, crisp day at 96 degrees here in Virginia.  Ugh!  I am so over this heat!  I used to love hot summers.  I lived in Atlanta for a year and that was my favorite time.  Now, not so much.  Maybe it's changes in my body as I get older or lugging all of the things that are required when you have three kids with you or worrying if Cadence's carseat will be too hot and she'll scream bloody murder getting into the car.  Whatever it is, I'm over the heat... or at least 90+ degrees of it.  I'm a happy girl in the mid-80's!

This morning started early with taking the car to the dealership for a small repair (the second in the two months we've had it... not great!) and a celebratory breakfast followed by the gym and grocery store.  At the dealership they had tried to run the car through the carwash but it wasn't working, making me realize how dirty the our swagger wagon really was.  It seemed like the perfect time for a hands on carwash!  Everyone joined in and made the most of the running water by getting soaked.  The car got clean too, so it was a win-win! 

We headed inside to get our clothes changed and Cadence wanted to put on a nightgown prompting Laurel to declare a pajama day.  And why not?  We stay huddled inside in our pj's when it's cold and snowy outside, why not when it's melting hot and we aren't headed anywhere?  (Although I did cross my fingers that no one pulled up while I was feeding the chickens.)  After lunch we had our own little dance party with Cadence rockin' out on her piano.  That girls loves to make noise!  Then on to making Ghoul Juice.  It was a fun experiment, although the final product to drink was not nearly as exciting, or tasty, as the girls had hoped. We had a good time trying though!

Next up, naptime for Cadence, movie time for Sierra and Laurel, and blog time for me.  We had a "final cob" for Sierra for dinner.  She loves corn on the cob but is having her chipped front tooth fixed tomorrow (4th time's the charm, right?!) so this will be the last time she can eat it.  Cadence loves it too!  We decided to paint some pictures to send to friends and then Sierra and I started our training for the Women's 4-miler that we are doing together this year.  Yes, we probably should have started our training sooner than 1 month before the race, but have I mentioned that I've been hating the heat?  Based on our first "run" today we may do a run-walk!  All in all though, it has been a good day hiding from the heat!


The new family stickers that Brad got for the car... it seemed a necessary buy when you get a van!

They are all good little washers

Does anything taste better than cold water from the hose on a hot day?  Probably, but it's refreshing and nostalgic.

I'm not sure how it progressed to filling their boots with water!


Laurel's warning to outsiders


Ingredients for Ghoul Juice

Fresh lemon juice (insert sour face here!)

Ghoulishly cool!

With "worms" and "eyeballs" to complete it

"Drinking" from the worm
They love corn on the cob!

A messy end to the day

No comments:

Post a Comment