Sunday, May 16, 2010

May 16th, 2010






Brad "officially" graduated from grad school on Friday (well, he was hooded, but still has 2 more months of clinicals) so we decided to spend the weekend like a normal family and went camping. Yesterday we went to Ramsey's Draft in the George Washington Forest. It was our first family "hike in" trip. All of us loaded down with our gear; we only had to hike in about 1/2 mile. We found a great spot right next to a creek with a fire pit already made. The temperature was perfect, the girls had a blast playing in the creek, and we had s'mores! When the girls wanted me for something I actually said "Not right now, Mommy's relaxing!" I don't know that I've ever said that!! Usually "Not right now..." is followed by "I'm cleaning", "I'm cooking", or simply "I'm busy right this moment". Needless to say, it was a nice evening!

My thoughts drifted often to Cadence. I remember the same phenomenon when I was pregnant with both of the girls. While going through the daily routine of the day it's always in the back of my mind - "How will this be different when Cadence is home?" I'll have to remember to close the baby gate when I go down the stairs. Cooking dinner will take longer with a toddler running around. Laurel told me the other day that I would have to eat last since Cadence will need to be fed! We probably won't camp out right next to a creek with a toddler. I'll have someone else to sing to when I put the kids to bed at night. I'll wake up in the morning to six little arms hugging me instead of four. I'll have a child to take to Tumble Buddies on Monday mornings. She is never far from my mind!


It rained during the night while we slept but thankfully stopped before we had to pack up camp in the morning. We were all ready to get home and shower and eat, but it was such a nice, relaxing campout that I didn't want the feeling to end! We hadn't gotten our mail on Saturday before we left so we stopped at the mailbox before pulling into the driveway today. I saw an envelope from USCIS (immigration) and immediately snatched it out of Brad's hands. It was our renewed immigration form (I-797)!!! Our fingerprints did pass!!! I had been so worried about this and how delayed things might be if Brad had to be reprinted again, that I burst into tears when I opened it. It was such a relief!! I'll fax it to CCAI tomorrow so they can send it on to China!

No comments:

Post a Comment